Assignment 27A – Reading Reflection
No. 3
1. What
was the general theme or argument of the book? I read How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams.
Adam’s goes through his book discussing being successful in life, but in his introduction
he informs the reader that he’s not sure if he became successful through the
process he is going to describe or if it is just luck. His humor is really telling the reader that no one has one secret path
to follow for success, it’s more about learning many different things from
other successful people and learning what works for you, as well as some luck.
Adam’s discusses using systems instead of goals, taking risks, and finding your energy
and not your passion.
2. How
did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning
in ENT 3003? Early
on in the book, Adam’s mentions failure. It stood out to me because another
assignment this week was discussing failure and how we handle it. It was
interesting to read about Adam’s opinion on it and to apply it to my own
experiences. Adam’s wrote, “The short answer is that over the years I have cultivated
a unique relationship with failure. I invite it. I survive it. I appreciate it.
And then I mug the shit out of it.” He then says that failure always brings
value, and that he won’t forget his failures until he gets the value out of it
and profits from it. I think this is a great attitude to have. What better way
to deal with failure than inviting it yourself? And then learning directly from
it.
3. If
you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what
would that exercise involve? The
exercise I would design for this class would be to go through three of the many
lessons Adam’s mentions throughout the book. The first one is building your
life around systems, not goals. The idea of this exercise is to develop a
system where your plans can be adjusted and are not time sensitive. The second
lesson is to find jobs that you are comfortable taking risks in, and determine
which one is the best fit for you. This is done in hopes to lead you towards a
job that you can be successful in. The last lesson is to manage your energy.
This can be done by looking at the activities you enjoy, the space you work in,
and the time you work at. In the exercise, each person would go through each of
these steps and think of their own personal answers.
4. What
was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other
words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations? The most surprising part of this
book for me was when Adam’s started to discuss the medical condition he dealt
with for years; not being able to properly speak in normal conversations. This
confused me, just as it confused his doctors. Adam’s was able to speak completely
fine to himself or his cat, but in a social situation he couldn’t form normal
sentences. My ‘aha’ moment came when he described how he handled this situation.
All of his doctors didn’t know what was wrong with him and basically said he
was crazy. So he went on to work through it himself to determine what was
wrong. He put himself in situations that many people would not have been comfortable doing, so he
could get closer to what the issue was. This showed me that even when we are
faced with a large of an obstacle as that, it can still be overcome.
Hi Alyssa, I also read and reviewed Adam Scott's book, but for my second reading reflection. I think the greatest takeaway is one that you mentioned regarding failure. This is particularly timely as we had the assignment this week which we were reflecting on a recent failure. I agree with Scott, though it is easier said than done, when he says that we should savor and invite failure as it will only prepare us more for success and build our perseverance. It is an important sentiment and one I try to practice in my life instead of letting failure drag me down time and time again. Good post!
ReplyDeleteHey Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI also reviewed this book for this week's reading reflection. I think that this book really fit this week's theme of failure and how to get over failure. Although I did not have your 'aha' moment, I can definitely say that your moment also made me go 'aha'. Even when Scott could not get the support he needed, he took it upon himself to get better by himself and it ended up helping him a lot.
Hey Alyssa, it was great to ready your post since I never read this book for these reading reflections. I think it would be interesting to go through three of his lessons. I have always been goal-oriented for the longest time so it was weird seeing about the systems, but I can see how it would be helpful. I can also see how it would be beneficial to adapt to this. I agree with you that this book, from what I read from your post, is related to our class. I think I might check this book out!
ReplyDeleteHi Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI also read that book, but for the second reading reflection. I found it very interesting and I think it really fits with how we reviewed our own failures this week. I was also very confused that his medical condition of not being able to speak. I do also found it surprising that he was able to speak to large groups on stage.