Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Assignment 30A – Final Reflection


Assignment 30A – Final Reflection

·      Over the course of this semester I have definitely experienced a range of emotions in this class. I think my highs come from the numerous interviews I had to conduct for some of our assignments. I enjoyed going out of my comfort zone to speak to people who I normally would not have. My first initial low was when we had to do the first elevator pitch. I was so nervous to record myself doing it, but by the third one I actually enjoyed the assignment. I also experienced a low when I thought I had missed too many points to receive an A in the class, luckily that was not the case.
·      I think the stand out moment for me was when I did my last elevator pitch. I believe this is an experience that will stick with me for a long time, because I finally got comfortable saying my pitch. This will be such a helpful skill to have, whether it is for a job interview or a new business idea. Through doing that assignment three times I feel a lot more comfortable with the concept, and I am proud that I was able to get close to ‘perfecting’ my pitch.
·      I am still not entirely sure if being an entrepreneur is something that I want to do, at least not for some time. I think this course give me the skills to think like an entrepreneur if it is something that I want to attempt in the future. But before I do that, I would like to come up with a business idea that I feel very passionate about, otherwise I do not want to start my own business.
·      I think the first recommendation I would make to students taking this course is to not fall behind or start slow. I think many students think they are okay to miss numerous of the first assignments, because there are so many of them. But the assignments are the
bulk of the class and you can only miss a few to still get an A in the class. I would also recommend trying to look at them as more than just an assignment, it’s how you will get the most out of the class. The best way to do this is to be prepared to set aside time each week to work on assignments. If you are always rushing on the Friday before it is due, you won’t be putting your best effort forward.

4 comments:

  1. Alyssa,

    I agree with you that having to go out and conduct many interviews for this class was a huge learning experience. Before this class I never really had to go out and conduct an interview. Each time I had to do it I got better and the experienced helped and I know I can bring that with me later in life. I also think the elevators pitches is a stand out point. I think this is something that helped us learn how to get our ideas out to people in a short, concise way. I think this is something we can bring into play if we bring our idea to a career fair and have to pitch our company or idea to people who are looking to find jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alyssa,
    I kind of disagree with you that the interviews were a learning experience. I thought maybe the first time it was, but the repetition of it was just ridiculous and seemed very unrealistic in the process of entrepreneurship. I definitely think to succeed in this course you cannot fall behind or start slow like you said as it could really hinder your grade. There are so many easy things to miss so you always have to be on top of your game and keep track of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alyssa, I think you're advice for future students taking this course is spot on and also something I mentioned in my post! Starting slow or falling behind isn't good in any course but especially in this one considering how interrelated the assignments are week-to-week. That is great advice and I definitely agree it is how to get the most value out of the course. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alyssa! I was quite the opposite when it came time to get out of my comfort zone. My initial low point was also the second elevator pitch since I didn’t submit the first one. Although, I could see that as being more of a low point. I think its smart to only start a business when you are passionate about the product since that will help in the long run, I believe. My recommendation was to make sure to declare and assignment and to have a schedule. This class takes time to do which isn’t what I thought and that cost me a chunk of points.

    ReplyDelete