Assignment 3A – Your
Entrepreneurship Story
I have been going to the same
hairdresser for as long as I can remember. Karen is one of my mom’s good
friends and our neighbor, so it always made sense going to her. She initially
started doing hair out of a salon, like most hairdressers do. Because of her
high demand, she then started to do hair in her home as well. She turned a room
in her basement into a hair studio and her popularity continued to grow. After
a few years of doing this, she decided to open up her own hair salon in our
town; Studio Allure Hair Design. It has now been around for over eight years
and she has significantly expanded the salon space, has numerous stylist
working there, offers multiple other services other than hair styling, and has
opened up a boutique inside. I had the opportunity to work there throughout
high school and it has been a great experience to see how she has grown her
business throughout the past 15 years. The relationships she built with each of
her clients has allowed her business to be as successful as it is today. The
relationships she has with her clients caused them to be loyal to her even when
she was moving locations and working out of her home. She has taught me the
importance of client relationships in any job where you are working with people
and has given me a new perspective on how local businesses are run.

Studio Allure Hair Design after its expansion.
I decided
to take ENT3003 to learn more about entrepreneurship and to learn if it is
something that I would seriously be interested in for the future. I want to
eventually be a financial advisor, and I would love to have my own business
doing this where I could specifically focus on teaching women more about
handling their finances and investing. From this class I’m hoping to learn more
about starting a small business and get a better idea if it is something I want
to work towards one day.
Hi Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteYour story regarding your first entrepreneurship experience was very interesting. I have never worked with a business as closely as you, but I need to because I am a pre-law business major and want to become a corporate lawyer. I completely relate with you regarding why we enrolled in ENT3003; after I complete all of my studies and become a lawyer, like you, I want to start my own business, but since my interest is law, I want to start a corporate law firm.
Hey Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI really liked this story and example you provided as an experience with entrepreneurship. I did something very similar in high school and what you mentioned about relationships with clients is what I feel I got out of it the most. As an entrepreneur having a dedicated and loyal community and strong relationships is the only way to succeed and truly grow to be as big as you would like. Also, your reason for taking ENT3003 is exactly what mine is, to see if this is something that I want to seriously consider for the future. All in all great post.
Hey Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI really liked this story and example you provided as an experience with entrepreneurship. I did something very similar in high school and what you mentioned about relationships with clients is what I feel I got out of it the most. As an entrepreneur having a dedicated and loyal community and strong relationships is the only way to succeed and truly grow to be as big as you would like. Also, your reason for taking ENT3003 is exactly what mine is, to see if this is something that I want to seriously consider for the future. All in all great post.
Hey Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteWow, that story is really fascinating and it reminds of my mother's hairdresser as well. She too started about six or seven years ago from a spot in another hair salon and got enough demand that she opened her own salon with her daughters and nieces. Later on, she too decided to expand to a bigger space. Your reason for taking ENT3003 is very similar to mine as well.