Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Assignment 8A – Solving the Problem


Assignment 8A – Solving the Problem

Idea: Open a new 21+ bar in Midtown at University of Florida.

Opportunity: For the past four years as a UF student, going out in Midtown has always been a popular thing to do among my friends. After turning 21, it has become something that I do regularly. The reoccurring issues each night are the long lines and crowdedness. There are currently 3 popular bars to go to in Midtown that almost always have a long line on a Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday night. Sometimes waiting in these lines can take over an hour. It discourages myself and other students from going out many nights. It also forces students to go out earlier and earlier to try and beat the lines. My opportunity is regarding the empty buildings located in Midtown at University of Florida. Just down the street from Sushi Chao, there is an empty building that used to hold Cantina and Mochi. I think there is an opportunity to take these empty buildings and turn them into a popular place for college students to go out at in midtown.

Product: My idea is to open a 21+ bar in midtown that students will enjoy going to for a night out. Through the opening of this bar, lines and overcrowding at midtown will decrease and it will make it more enjoyable for students to go out. This bar should offer deals and different promotions each night to increase popularity among students. I think it could also have different themed nights, similar to what bars downtown do, to differentiate themselves from other midtown bars.
 It could also potentially work as a restaurant during the day. This would offer something new to everyone who lives in Gainesville, not just those who go out. It would be a challenge for them to compete with Swamp and Social, but I still believe there is an opportunity for something new to open in the area.
This space has been empty for almost a year. Opening a new business in that area could potentially bring in new students and Gainesville residents to Midtown at night, or even just during the day. It would also improve lines and crowdedness in Midtown, which many times is a safety hazard.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that there is a need for more good bars in midtown. The lines at our current popular bars are definitely too long. Your solution to turn one of the empty buildings in midtown into a place that could be a restaurant during the day and a 21+ bar at night sounds great. Your suggestions of different themes and promotions are good ideas. Midtown needs more restaurants and nightlife places. Your solution, like my own solution, re-purposes something that is already in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alyssa,
    I really like your suggestion of different themes at night for the bar. I think that would be a huge pull factor in that bar, being that it would be new. I understand your concern with competing against swamp and social, however, being that midtown is the central meeting place for most students when they go out, I do not think that the competition will be rough. This will also allow for new jobs to open up such as, bartenders, waitresses, and bouncers. I think using that space is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete