Assignment 13A – Reading Reflection
No. 1
I read
Grinding it Out: The Making of McDonald’s by Ray Kroc.
1. What
surprised you the most? I
was most surprised to learn that Ray Kroc did not start the McDonald’s empire
until the late age of 52 years old. I think many people feel like they are in
such a rush to do something great or spectacular with their lives, when many
times some of the most successful people don’t find their success until later
in life. Before starting McDonald’s, Kroc worked for others as a salesman and
then eventually a sales manager for his own small business.
2. What
about the entrepreneur did you most admire? I admired that Ray Kroc was able to maintain the same philosophy
throughout his entire life. Whether it was when he was a multimillionaire, or
if it was when he was selling paper cups for $35 a week. In his book, he says “I
have always believed that each man makes his own happiness and is responsible
for his own problems.” I believe this is a great attitude for an entrepreneur
to have, because it encourages you to take opportunities when they are there
and to not blame other for your problems. This motto especially helped Kroc,
because it allowed him to jump at an opportunity he found, even in his late
age of 52.
3. What
about the entrepreneur did you least admire? I thing I least admire about Ray Kroc is that he is
responsible for creating/spreading such an unhealthy food choice for Americans and a lot
of the world. McDonald’s drove the new idea of fast food when it became such a large chain. It is known for being incredibly unhealthy and its
popularity has encouraged more and more people to eat unhealthily, simply for
the convenience and inexpensiveness of it.
4. Did
the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? For most of Ray Kroc’s life he
worked in difficult jobs. He was a piano player, he sold real estate, and also
sold cups. When Kroc eventually became involved in opening new McDonald’s
locations, he struggled. One issue was quality control, he could not get the
fries to taste right, even with the secret recipe.
5. What
competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited? Ray Kroc was a great businessman,
which lead to much of his success. A
lot of his business knowledge and skills came from selling paper cups. He
learned how to sell cups to anyone. He was also skilled in stress management
and thrift; he was always careful with the company’s money. He was resistant
when growing the McDonald’s business, which is where the title “Grinding it Out”
came from.
6. Identify
at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you. I was initially confused at Ray
Kroc’s involvement in starting McDonald’s. When he became involved in the
business it was through his business relationship with Mac and Dick McDonald.
They were already developing the famous yellow arches that McDonald’s would eventually
become known for. Eventually, the brothers had Kroc help franchise their business.
And Ray Kroc is ultimately given the recognition for making McDonald’s what it
is today.
7.
If you were
able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?
a.
Is this what you envisioned
McDonald’s would become? A world-wide fast food restaurant that is known for
being very unhealthy?
i. I would ask this question because McDonald’s has become the
most widespread and popular fast food restaurant in the world. However, many
people have a negative viewpoint of it because of how unhealthy it is. It is blamed
for the rise in popularity of fast food.
b.
If you had never
met the McDonald’s brothers, do you think you would’ve found a different business
to work with? Or potentially started your own business?
i. I am curious about this because Ray Kroc doesn’t get the
entire credit for McDonald’s. The original restaurant was started by others. I
would like to know if he thinks he would have found a different opportunity, or
created his own opportunity.
8.
For fun: what
do you think the entrepreneur's opinion was of hard work? I think Ray Kroc had a clear
viewpoint on what hard work was. From the title of his autobiography, “Grinding
it Out,” he discusses the importance to keep ‘grinding’ no matter what
throughout his book. I believe he thinks everyone is responsible for their own
life and it is up to you to find your own opportunities and work hard for them.
Hi Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI really liked the questions you said you would ask Ray Kroc if you were able to. I think with a franchise as large as McDonalds it would be really interesting to know whether Kroc saw the potential for it to become what it is today or if that was even on the radar of possibilities. I also agree that everyone is responsible for their own life, as I was always raised to look for my own opportunities and if its something I truly want to achieve then grinding and working hard toward my goal is absolutely necessary. Good post!
Hey Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI was honestly a little bit shocked too to find out that Ray Kroc only started McDonalds at age 53. Compared to other posts I have read like about Coco Chanel and Steve Jobs, the recurring theme was that they started their passion and built their empire at an earlier age. I loved your first question and that is probably what I would have asked as well if he saw his cuisine becoming known as super unhealthy.
Hi, Alyssa! I also reading Grinding it Out, and I love how thorough you were with providing your answers. I myself had similar responses to some of the questions, but I never thought to think about how Ray Kroc's entrepreneurial ventures have affected the world negatively. In a way, I guess I was experiencing some tunnel vision since I was more focused on how hard-working and ambitious his efforts were. It really goes to show that a business model can be revolutionary and ingenuous at one point and then detrimental to society at another.
ReplyDeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI think that it's crazy that he didn't even create McDonalds, rather he just took over a franchise that two brothers created. I think that your second question was great. I wonder if he would have been able to find another opportunity to take to the level that McDonalds is at right now. His motto is also great as he makes sure that he doesn't blame others for problems and reaps the rewards of his success.