Assignment 9A – Testing the
Hypothesis, Part 2
Who: Throughout conducting my
interviews, I learned that there are certain people that fall outside of my opportunity
boundary. The main group that is not in my market are college students who do
not go out in Midtown. This is a large portion of the UF population.
o
During
my first interview, I spoke to a student who is 21 years old and chooses not to
go out because it is not something they enjoy doing. When we discussed adding another
bar in Midtown they showed no interest in it.
o
I
also spoke with a student who is under 21 years old that simply cannot go out
in Midtown because she won’t be admitted to the majority of the bars. She said
that although the new bar wouldn’t immediately affect her, she would be excited
to go once she turned 21.
o
In
my third interview, I learned that there was an unexpected interest in my
opportunity. He is a Gainesville local who enjoys going out, both at Midtown
and Downtown. In Midtown, his favorite bars to go to are Swamp and Social. He
said if the new bar that opened was similar and served food, he would likely go often.
o
For
my fourth interview, I spoke with a student who lives right behind Midtown in a
house. However, she does not go out because of how often she is studying. She
is in the nursing program and has spent the semester choosing to stay in studying,
rather than going out. She said a new bar in Midtown would be interesting, but didn’t
feel it was something she would utilize.
o
My
last interview was with a senior who is graduating this semester. He goes out a
lot now, but will be leaving Gainesville after graduation. He was excited about
the idea of a new bar, but quickly realized he would be gone before it would be
built.
What: Throughout my interviews, I have
learned that the crowdedness and long lines in Midtown will always be an issue.
In any city or college town, there are lines on popular nights. Adding one bar
will not fix the issue, but it may help.
Why: I think the needs are different for
those who are within the boundary, compared to those who are outside. Students
who go out often believe the open block in Midtown would be a great place to
open a new bar. However, students who do not often go out would probably prefer
to have a new restaurant or parking garage to open up there.
Inside
the Boundary
|
Outside
the Boundary
|
|
Who:
|
UF
students who go out
often in
Midtown
Gainesville
residents who go out in Midtown
UF
students who will be turning 21 soon and will then go out
|
UF students who choose to not go out in Midtown
UF students who are not old enough to go out
Gainesville residents that do not go to Midtown
|
What:
|
To reduce lines and crowding in Midtown
|
To completely get rid of lines and crowding in Midtown
|
Why:
|
For the number of people that go out, there are too few bars
There are only about 3 popular bars that students go to, creating long lines
|
Bouncers limit the number of people allowed inside for safety reasons
|
Hello,
ReplyDeleteI beleive that you got a great opportunity. The potential is there as many people go out rn. There also may be another group which may include people that go out but are loyal to the old places and choose not to go to the new bar. Thre also maybe people that go out in downtown only. I think that overall great chance as I hate waiting in lines.
Hi Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI still really think there is a huge opportunity here, even with your out of the boundary interviews. I honestly think the need is so huge within the boundary that it would still be beneficial, though there are those outliers in the "who" that would prefer something else go up in Midtown instead. As someone who feels they fall within your boundary, as I constantly hate waiting in the long lines at Midtown almost every weekend, I definitely see the value of either a new bar or bar/restaurant, which could be a more suitable option to please those in and out of the boundary. Good post!