Assignment 14A – Halfway Reflection
1) Tenaciousness is a competency. What are the behaviors that you have used (or
developed) to keep up with the requirements of this course?
a. This course is
unique compared to other business courses most students are used it. There will
be multiple assignments due each week, that will require time, thought, and
planning. It cannot be completed hours before the due date. This course has forced
me to improve my time management skills, instead of waiting until the last
minute. One of the most time consuming parts is interviewing multiple people for
some of the assignments. You have to work on others time, so waiting until the last
minute is not an option.
2) Tenaciousness is also about attitude. Talk about a moment or two when you felt like
"giving up." What pulled you through? Do you feel like you've
developed a tenacious attitude during the past two months? What experience or
experiences most contributed to this?
a. There have been a
few assignments when I felt like “giving up,” or just not completing the
assignment. One week that sticks out is when we had to record ourselves giving
the elevator pitch. I didn’t have any trouble coming up with what I wanted to
say, but I was uncomfortable recording myself and them posting it. After going
through the process, I understood the importance of it. Feedback for that assignment was much more
helpful when it was on the actual video and not just of words. This assignment
and others have helped me build a tenacious attitude and continue working to
get everything done.
3) Three tips. What are three tips you would offer next
semester's student about (1) fostering the skills that support tenacity and (2)
developing the 'tenacious mindset' ?
a. Master time
management at the beginning of the semester, instead of waiting until it’s too
late! Some students put off or don't complete early assignments because they aren’t worth a lot of points,
but this can create bad habits and you may not be able to make up those lost
points.
b. Reread all of your work and have others read
over it too. You usually get peer remarks on all of your assignments, but it
can also help to have a friend or two read over some of your business ideas, to
make sure they make sense.
c. Apply what you learn throughout this course
to your everyday life! Many of us take this course because we are interested in
becoming entrepreneurs or just being successful in business. This class
provides you with the tools to do both.

Hi Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI also had to improve my time management skills in order to adapt to the assignment schedule and due dates each week, so that is a great tip for future students. It was quite hard at first to get used to the layout but now that I know roughly what to expect in a week from the course, I find it easier to productively plan and efficiently execute my assignments. Good post!
Hey Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI am very similar to you in the sense that the elevator pitch almost had me giving up. I just felt a little ridiculous doing it and did not really see the benefit of practicing to a screen. I think the most important tip you gave was mastering time management. Time management is probably the most difficult thing about this course and is key to succeeding in this course as well.
Hi, Alyssa! Time management is definitely key, and that's something I still struggle with to this day. This class especially has made me strap down and utilize the time management skills I did have. But at the end of the day, it's all for our benefit so might as well take what we can from it. I totally agree about the applying what I learn from this class to my everyday life. I would never have thought about but having an entrepreneurial attitude has helped me solve problems I wouldn't have been able to solve otherwise and for that I am grateful.
ReplyDelete