Friday, January 18, 2019

Assignment 2A - Bug List


Assignment 2A – Bug List

1.     When my scooter won’t start on cold mornings when I’m on my way to class or work
a.     Why: Most scooters are designed primarily for warm weather, so when the temperature drops in Gainesville it affects the scooter engine and causes startup issues.
2.     Having three exams scheduled on the same day for the past three semesters
a.     Why: A lot of business courses schedule their final exams during the week before finals week. This causes many exams to occur on the same day, so when you are taking multiple business courses you may have multiple exams in one day.
3.     People who go to the gym and spend the entire time talking with their friends instead of workout out and utilizing the equipment they have
a.     Why: Some students who go to the gym may not know how to correctly work out or are more interested in the social aspect of going to the gym. Sometimes going to the gym with a group of friends can cause more of a distraction than anything.
4.     When my roommates forget to do the dishes and our sink is full of dirty dishes
a.     Why: Many times my roommates set their dirty dishes aside to do later, instead of doing them immediately after they cook. The dishes are then often forgotten about and will sit there until someone gives in and washes all of them.
5.     When you go out after 9PM on the weekend in Gainesville and there are lines at every bar in midtown
a.     Why: Everyone in Gainesville has started going out earlier and earlier. On busy nights, if you don’t head out before everyone else you will be waiting in lines. The bars must have a limit on how many people are allowed inside at once or it will become a safety hazard.
6.     Not being able to get into the necessary classes for my ISOM minor and having to drop this minor senior year
a.     Why: There is a limited amount of space in Information System and Operation Management courses. Priority must be given to ISOM majors, not students who have it as a minor.
7.     Drivers who incorrectly use the roundabouts in Gainesville and stop in the middle of the circle to let people through who do not have the right away
a.     Why: Gainesville has more roundabouts than students may be used to, depending on where they are from. If they are not comfortable with them, they may think they are being nice by letting others into the roundabout, when they are actually just causing it to move slower.
8.     People who move my scooter when I park on campus
a.     Why: Scooter parking is limited on campus, so when students are in a rush to get somewhere and can’t find parking, they will move scooters that aren’t locked to fit theirs into the parking spaces.
9.     How dirty the girls bathrooms at Library West get during finals week with paper towels and water
a.     Why: Library West is one of the busiest libraries on campus and during finals week it is especially overcrowded. When some people think it is okay to throw paper towels on the floor, there is a domino effect.
10.  When I take my scooter to New Scooters 4 Less and they overcharge for any service or broken part
a.     Why: NS4L is dominant in the scooter industry in Gainesville. Most people don’t know how to fix their scooter or know what it should cost. NS4L’s is able to get away with significantly overcharging because no one knows of anyone else who can fix scooter issues in Gainesville.
11.  When my roommates have left their clothes either in the washer or dryer and it delays me from doing my own laundry
a.     Why: It is easy to forget that you are doing your laundry. My roommates will get distracted or go somewhere that prevents them from removing their laundry from the washer or dryer.
12.  Ordering clothes online and having them show up and either not fit or looking nothing like how they looked online
a.     Why: You can’t guarantee if something you order online is going to fit, because you didn’t try it on in the store. Some websites not reliable and will send you clothes that look different from what was advertised
13.  When my friends decide to have arguments in group messages instead of talking in person
a.     Why: Many people are more comfortable and confident talking over text messages, compared to talking in person. When conflicts arise people are quicker to respond harshly through texts than they would face-to-face.
14.  Students who sit in the quiet section of the library and have their music or sound turned up so loud that I am able to hear it
a.     Why: People may not realize that others are able to hear their music or they just don’t care. When you are in a quiet section of the library your music doesn’t need to be turned up that loud for others to hear.
15.  When I go to the Publix Deli and they are out of the one type of turkey I want to buy on two separate occasions
a.     Why: The Maple Honey turkey is one of the most popular types at Publix and they may not have been prepared for the demand once students got back to school.
16.  When I drive all the way to Southwest Rec from Second Ave. and the machines I want to use are unavailable or all of the mats are being used
a.     Why: I always go to the gym after 3:30PM because I don’t have a parking decal. This is when the gym is the busiest, so gym equipment is always in use.
17.  Being able to hear people talking outside when they come home to Second Ave. at 2AM from a night out
a.     Why: Usually people don’t realize how loudly they are talking when they come home that late. The walls at Second Ave. are also very thin, allowing you to hear conversations going on in other rooms or outside.
18.  When my friends talk about a new Netflix show that I am in the middle of watching and give away the ending
a.     Why: My friends get excited to talk about a new show and often forget that not everyone has seen it.
19.  When I’m working in the International Programs Office in Heavener and people try to cut through to the Academic Advising Office, ignoring both me and the signs that say staff only
a.     Why: Because students are not allowed to cut through the hallway connecting both offices, they have to walk down to the second floor and walk across the building and go back up the stairs. Students do not understand why they have to go through all this trouble when the offices are connected upstairs.
20.  When I make plans with a friends and they are always 15 minutes late and I am on time
a.     Why: Sometimes things come up, causing others to be late. And some people don’t place that much importance in being on time.

Reflection:
           
            Before I started this exercise I expected it would be easy to come up with 20 “bugs,” but after about 6 I struggled to come up with more off the top of my head. I wrote my list as I went throughout my day and that helped me come up with more. Many times my location helped me come up with a “bug” and some “bugs” lead me another idea. But many times I was stuck thinking for a few minutes coming up with the next one. I also had to keep reminding myself to do the correct “why.” I wanted to explain why it bothered me, instead of explaining why the issue may exist. Looking at it from this different perspective has helped me understand each problem better.
            Throughout this exercise I noticed many occurrences do “bug” me, but I have never tried to understand why these issues exist. Acknowledging why has helped me have a new viewpoint on each event. It has allowed me to be more understanding of why people do these things and it has also caused me to question if there is a solution to these “bugs.” This is an important viewpoint to take when looking at business problems, continuing to ask why and how it can be fixed will eventually lead you to a solution.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alyssa,

    We shared a rather different experience when it came to completing the bug list. It took me probably 25 minutes to create my bug list, but I can understand how going through your day would help you make more bugs. I really liked your bugs, too. They were very detailed and were easy to relate to. I also agree that asking "why" and how a bug can be fixed will eventually lead to a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alyssa,
    Not even onto bug #2 and I found a bug we have In common, scooters refusing to start on cold mornings! This really bugs me as it sometimes puts me behind schedule, makes me run late to class etc, and puts me in a worse mood. The list as a whole was very well put together along with the reasons for each one. Also, I agree with what you stated in your reflection that after the first 5-6 bugs it became very difficult to think of more off the top of your head. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alyssa,

    I thought that the bug list would be easy to create as well, but, boy, i was very wrong. I also had to correct myself and ask why things were wrong in the world around me. Its interesting to see that lots of people had as much trouble as I did. I cant really relate to scooters not starting in the cold but I definitely can relate to it just being too darn cold for anything to start.

    ReplyDelete