Assignment 7A – Testing the
Hypothesis, Part 1
Additional
Bar in Midtown
·
Opportunity:
o
University
of Florida students, who live in Gainesville, Florida, go out at night in
midtown and are constantly waiting in long lines because of the lack of bars
and clubs in the location.
§
The
who: University of Florida college students
§
The
what: Midtown is overcrowded causing students to wait in long lines
§
The
why: There are not enough bars and clubs in midtown, which causes there to be
overcrowding
·
Testing
the who: This is a potential need for others located in Gainesville. Not just
students go out at midtown, some adults living here will also go out. And they
have to deal with the over crowdedness and long lines as well. But, I think the
majority of the “who” are students who commonly go out at night to midtown bars
and clubs.
·
Testing
the what: One question to ask is, “Are all bars and clubs a problem, or just
some?” I think there are typically 2-3 bars that are overcrowded with long lines.
This is also not a problem every day of the week. Most lines occur Wednesday,
Friday, and Saturday nights. More specifically, the lines occur during prime
hours of going out. Usually between around 8:30PM-11PM.
·
Testing
the why: Some other possible “why” explanations for this opportunity are
students could be looking for a new, unique bar or club to go to that is not
offered in midtown. Although there are many different options of places to go
in midtown, there is an opportunity to open a new type of bar that would appeal
to more people. Currently, there are some bars that are underutilized, so this
opens up an opportunity for a different type of bar to open.
·
Interview
#1:
o
For
this interview, I spoke to a girl who goes out around 2 nights during a typical
week. She spoke about her frustration of the lack of options in midtown. This
student feels that there are 3 popular bars to go to on any given night. The
other options in midtown are either not fun or never crowded enough to go to.
When I mentioned to her potentially opening a new bar or club in the empty
buildings near midtown, she was quick to respond that it should be a 21+ bar.
She said that although this is an ongoing issue in midtown, if the bar that
opens is not popular with students, it will not have an impact on the problem.
·
Interview
#2:
o
It
was important for me to interview someone who does not go out often. I wanted
to get their perspective on introducing a new bar or club in midtown. She
explained to me that she is not into going out and drink, so heading to midtown
at night has never been something she took part in. She said she’s heard people
complain about lines, but doesn’t understand because there are so many options
already to go to. Including some restaurants that turn into places to go out
at. In her opinion, a new bar opening is unnecessary. She feels that the empty
space near midtown could go to better use, such as opening a new parking garage
or a popular dinner chain. This way it would benefit all students, not just
those who go out.
·
Interview
#3
o
I
decided to interview a 22 year old male student here at UF. He said he only
goes out a few times to midtown a semester, partly because he doesn’t like
going out in large crowds. He shared that he goes to downtown in Gainesville
much more often. When I asked him if he would consider going to midtown more if
there was a new bar opened he sounded doubtful. He wants to go to a bar with
more of a laid back feel, and midtown bars don’t have that atmosphere he said. Even if
they aren’t as crowded it’s not the same as being downtown. He feels that no
matter how many bars are in midtown, it is always going to be crowded with long
lines, partly due to how close all of the bars are located.
·
Interview
#4
o
I
also interviewed a young bouncer here at a popular bar. He is a student, but
works 3-4 nights as a bouncer. He said he doesn’t go out often because of how
much he works, but he gets to see more of midtown than most people see. When I
mentioned to him the opportunity to open a new bar in the open space near
midtown he said he had talked about the idea before with friends. Because he’s
heard so many people complain about the lines and overcrowding, he thought it
was a great idea. However, he said that it needs to be the right bar that is
going to be popular with students. If no one wants to go, then it won’t be
effective at lowering line waits.
·
Interview
#5
o
In
this interview, I spoke to a local here in Gainesville. She has lived here most
of her life and often goes out in midtown and downtown, despite being older
than most students. She told me that she doesn’t often go out on nights when it
is busy and she never goes and waits in lines for bars. She prefers to go
downtown, where the atmosphere is more relaxed. When I brought up the idea to
open a new bar in midtown she said she has previously given thought into what
should go in those empty buildings. In her opinion, it is a good opportunity to
open up a new restaurant/bar in that area, that is more focused on food and
casual drinking.
·
Given
your interviews, what do you know about the opportunity that you didn’t know
before?
o
I
was initially surprised after these interviews at the diverse responses I
received on what should in the empty buildings by midtown. But after thinking
about it, there is probably a small percentage of students that go out often
enough for a new bar to significantly impact them. Many students are also 21,
so a new bar would have no impact on them.
o
In
my second interview, I started to think about what other options should be
considered to go in the empty buildings. I think it is important to consider
all options, especially the ones that will impact the most students. While I
still think a new bar or club would be beneficial to many students, it may not
have the largest impact on the community.
o
These
interviews also made me consider the impact downtown has on this decision.
Downtown is a very different atmosphere from midtown, so when opening a new bar
in midtown, it is important to consider what type of feeling it should have and
why students would want to go there.
o
Before
making a final decision on this opportunity, I think it is important to
interview a diverse, large group of UF students, to get the best idea of what
students want.
Hi Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI totally agree that there is a huge opportunity for a new bar/club in Midtown. The volume of students attempting to go out weekend after weekend in comparison to the space and amount of bars available is wildly uneven, creating huge lines and constant overcrowding. I definitely agree that the potential new bar needs to be 21+ to promote the type of exclusivity and thus popularity needed to both be successful and profitable, as well as alleviate the issue of overcrowding in Midtown. However, I also agree that it would be smart to consider what the most impactful opportunity/solution for the most people would be.
Hello Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI think any student that goes out in Midtown can agree that the long lines have gotten to a point of ridiculousness. There are sometimes when I go to pick up dinner in midtown around 7 and the lines are already ridiculous. Espeically with the closing of two popular bars in the matter of my four years here at UF, I have shifted to going out Downtown more recently. I think opening a new bar in Midtown would be a great idea.